June is Men’s Health Month, and the team at Galen is celebrating the health and wellness of our male patients and their families. Celebrated across the country, the root purpose of Men’s Health Month is to raise awareness surrounding preventable health problems while encouraging the early detection and treatment of diseases among men and boys.
This month-long celebration provides health care professionals and public policy makers, along with individuals, the opportunity to encourage men and boys to seek regular medical care and screenings, as well as early treatment for illnesses and injuries. The month will be marked by a slew of awareness activities across the country and around the globe, from health fairs to free screenings to a variety of other outreach and awareness-driven activities.
To all our male patients and their families, we encourage you to take advantage of the wealth of information from sources such as the online Men’s Health Resource Center, addressing topics including nutrition, cardiovascular health, prostate health, mental health, diabetes, reproductive health, cancers, and more.
If you want to help raise awareness about the importance of men’s health, here are some things you can do to get active!
- Plan a Wear Blue event with friends, family, or coworkers– Support the men and boys in your life by wearing blue on Friday, June 19, 2020.
- Use social media to raise awareness about Men’s Health Month using these common hashtags: #MensHealthMonth, #ShowUsYourBlue, #WearBlueForMen, #MensHealthWeek, #MHM2020
- Distribute blue ribbon pins at your office, church, or organization
- Donate money to a men’s health cause
- Encourage the men in your life–dad, grandfathers, children, uncles, spouses– to establish healthy relationships with medical providers and have regular well checks and screenings
In support of the men in your life, and in light of Men’s Health Month, you can encourage your favorite men to:
- Get physicals– see your doctor for regular check ups
- Maintain a healthy diet
- Stay active to maintain a healthy weight and heart
- Check in about mental health
- Stay educated about health risks and how to minimize them
No matter how you and yours celebrate Men’s Health Month, we hope you’ll find ways to improve your own health, while also encouraging the men you care about the most to take wellness and healthcare seriously. In the meantime, your Galen providers are here to help you as you work toward fine tuning your healthiest lifestyle.