National Women’s Health Week is May 10th-16th, 2020, and the team at Galen is ready to celebrate women’s health and inspire our female patients to make their health a priority now and always. Especially in the current climate with COVID-19 an ever present concern, it’s even more imperative than ever to take steps to improve overall wellness now for a happier and healthier future. This is important for all girls and women, but even more so for those with underlying health conditions like diabetes, hypertension, obesity, cardiovascular and respiratory issues, and of course, women over the age of 65. It’s never a bad time to get started!
11 Steps Toward Better Women’s Health
- Establish a relationship with a healthcare provider to discuss any concerns as they arise— from COVID-19 to stress management to high blood pressure
- Schedule regular wellness checkups with your provider
- Achieve and maintain a healthy weight
- Get active, and stay active
- Prioritize your mental health
- Practice stress management
- Practice healthy sleep habits with at least 7 hours being the goal
- Eat a heart-healthy diet
- Drink alcohol responsibly
- Don’t smoke or vape
- Take steps to mitigate the spread of COVID-19
Old habits can be difficult to break, but if you stick to it, you can trade them in for new, healthier ones. The behavioral patterns that we practice repetitively become etched into our neural pathways– but the beauty of that is that through the repetition of healthier behaviors, new habits will be formed. You can start today. All it takes is one healthier meal, one workout, one therapy session, to get the ball rolling in the right direction.
You can bolster your own success in living a healthier lifestyle with goal setting. Give yourself clear-cut goals that are measurable, and be ready to give yourself time and grace to make the changes you want to make. Find more information and inspiration for your personal health journey at womenshealth.gov. As always, if there is anything the Galen team can do for you, contact your provider today!